Media Release on behalf of the Belfast City Marathon 2019 Planning
22 February 2018
A meeting was held on Wednesday 21st February 2018 in Belfast City Hall with the City Growth and Regeneration Committee, regarding the change of the current route and change of day (Bank Holiday Monday – Sunday) for the Belfast City Marathon in 2019
- Chairman of Belfast City Marathon Ltd, Mr David Seaton MBE presented to the Committee with Course Developer; Mr John Glover.
- The Chairman commented that the process for the changes began more than 2 years ago when the Board of Directors were tasked in finding a suitable route for the iconic Belfast City Marathon causing minimum disruption to the City BUT at the same time promoting the economic regeneration of the City.
- Factors which were identified as influencing these changes include;
- Community Impact – ensuring the route takes in North, South, East and West Belfast and keeping traffic disruption to a minimum
- Inclusion of iconic landmarks
- Satisfaction of stakeholders – Athletes, Police Service Northern Ireland, Translink, City Centre Management, Churches, Businesses and local community
- Participants’ feedback
- After 13 years of the current route and 36 years of the event being held on the Bank Holiday Monday in May, the Chairman explained that as a company they wish to develop the event and the above is fundamental in this success.
- The City Growth and Regeneration Committee listened to the presentation by Belfast City Marathon and have deferred the decision at present. The members of the committee have asked representatives of Belfast City Marathon to revisit the provisional course and see if the route could be more evenly spread across North, South, East and West of the City and to allow the local community to get involved more.
- Chairman, Mr David Seaton has agreed to consult with external stakeholders and board directors over the coming few weeks and revert back to Committee.
For more information, please contact the Marathon Office directly on 028 9060 5933 or email email@example.com