Choose Belfast and support the Experiment Group for their May Marathon Challenge
17 January 2019
Have you always wanted to run a Marathon, but felt you didn’t know where to start?
The organisers at the Deep RiverRock Belfast City Marathon have recruited 19 people from all walks of life, who will be taking on the challenge of running a marathon for the first time.
The Experiment 26.2 Group will be ambassadors for the Deep RiverRock Belfast City Marathon on 5th May. Set to make history in 2019, the event is being hosted on a Sunday for the first time ever and participants can expect a brand new, flatter and faster marathon route.
With less than 16 weeks to go, the Experiment 26.2 Group can expect a very comprehensive marathon training package from the event’s Official Partners - Stuart Kennedy (Official Marathon Coach), Framar Health (Official Nutrition Partner) and Better (Official Gym Partner). They’ll receive complimentary Athletics NI and Mary Peters Track memberships, free entry to running events (SPAR Craic 10K, Titanic Quarter 10K and SPAR Omagh Half Marathon) and a goodie bag of products to help support their training from Deep RiverRock, Framar Health, White’s Oats, Linwoods, Tayto, SPAR and more.
All have chosen to run for one of the FIVE Official Charity Partners for the 2019 Deep RiverRock Belfast City Marathon – Belfast Arthroplasty Research Trust (BART), Cancer Focus NI, Stroke Association, Air Ambulance NI and Action Mental Health.
And who are the lucky 19 embarking on this marathon journey?
- Grace Nugent: from County Armagh and an ambassador for Cancer Focus NI
- Diarmuid McLaughlin: from Newtownabbey and an ambassador for Action Mental Health
- Patricia Doherty: from Portadown, an ambassador for BART and a member of Kernan Running Club
- Liam Lavery: from Belfast, an ambassador for Stroke Association and member of the Dub Runners of Belfast
- Caroline Crothers: from Bangor, an ambassador for Air Ambulance NI and member of North Down Athletics Club
- Edwin Howe: from Belfast and an ambassador for Framar Health
- Ciaran Haren: from Belfast and an ambassador for SPAR
- Gráinne Savage: from Newry and an ambassador for Translink
- William Oliver: from Newry and an ambassador for Belfast City Council
- Victoria Irving: from Lisburn, an ambassador for Better and a member of Orangegrove Athletics Club
- Gareth Amos: from Downpatrick and a member of East Down Athletics Club
- Claire Williamson: from Lisburn
- Bethany Craig: from Belfast
- Sarah McGarrigle: from Belfast
- Larry Claxton: from Belfast
- Kevin Savage: from Belfast
- Ken Leung: from Belfast and a member of Ormeau Runners
- Jane McCoy: from Belfast and a member of West Belfast Coolers
- Susan Spence: from Bangor and a member of North Down Athletics Club
The group met for the first time on Saturday 12th January to complete an “ice breaker” challenge at The Jungle NI, Moneymore. They were split into two teams to go head to head in a “Crystal Maze” team building challenge, the first of many mental, physical and endurance tests as they meet and train for their first marathon!
The Deep RiverRock Belfast City Marathon hopes that you will follow the Experiment 26.2 Group over the coming weeks and help motivate and cheer them on. You can follow their progress online at www.belfastcitymarathon.com/training-blogs and on the event social media sites Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
Maybe it will motivate YOU to take on your first running challenge and join them on Sunday 5th May for either the Marathon Run & Wheelchair Race, Marathon Team Relay, 8 Mile Walk or Fun Run.
SIGN UP for the 38th Deep RiverRock Belfast City Marathon now at www.belfastcitymarathon.com via the brand new MyTicket App. #ChooseBelfast
The Deep RiverRock Belfast City Marathon is sponsored by Athletics Northern Ireland, Daily Mirror, Belfast City Council, Better, Translink, Daily Mirror, Spar, Belfast Live and Framar Health. Sampling partners are Deep RiverRock, Tayto, White’s Oats and Linwoods. This year’s official charities are Belfast Arthroplasty Research Trust (BART); Cancer Focus NI; Stroke Association; Air Ambulance NI and Action Mental Health.